Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Nice Combo

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Nice Combo

    I know they're not exactly high end, but they just struck me as a cool vintage combo especially with the head included. Of course, it depends on the reserve and bidding how worthwhile they are but some of you pro sound and/or musician guys out there in particular probably know what I mean -- I bet (if in good shape) this combo would sound great for vocals or Fender Rhodes, etc. and the six channel head really makes it a cool looking vintage combo (to me, anyways)......

    Altec Lansing PA Speakers Vintage rare and head | eBay


    EDIT Same head for $75 (probably a decent price if it works well) --- Funny Description!

    http://burlington.craigslist.org/msg/2524484234.html
    Last edited by voice of the theater; August 3rd, 2011 at 10:13 PM.
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Nice  Combo


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Nice Combo

    The best thing is the speakers in the columns...not bad for 8 inch full range. Tweet is mediocre. Nicely made 5 kHz xover, but the L-pad is wired as input volume, easy enough to rewire.

    Head is not so great...doesn't have the Lo-z ins, and the reverb tank is bad in that one...I just sold it's twin in better shape about a year ago for 50 bucks..

    Were it local, and I had energy to go get it, I'd buy it for the speakers and off the head for 20 bucks or give it away...

    Head you want is the 1214a

    2
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Nice Combo

    Yeah, the 1214A looks like a sweet head--do those pop up for sale very often?
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Nice Combo

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    ...Head you want is the 1214a..
    'Zat mean you want one?

    Quote Originally Posted by voice of the theater View Post
    Yeah, the 1214A looks like a sweet head--do those pop up for sale very often?
    I got one several years ago in great shape for a C-note. The kicker with any used mixer is the quality/condition of the pots and switches.
    Last edited by bfish; August 5th, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Nice  Combo


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Nice Combo

    When my 1214 broke told the redhead was going into town to have my head examined....

    She felt it was about time.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Nice Combo

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    but the L-pad is wired as input volume, easy enough to rewire.
    I am yet to see an L-Pad in an Altec speaker actually wired as one. Did they not wonder what the 3rd terminal was for?
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.